Lumpy Bumpy Cupcakes Recipe
Of course you can make a full-size cake rather than cupcakes – just bake the batter in two 9” pans; each layer will make a cake serving 8. A small amount of chocolate liqueur or non-alcoholic coffee syrup can be sprinkled on each cupcake, insuring that they stay very moist; since the cake is moist anyway, this is completely optional. Although there are several steps in this recipe, the results are absolutely worth it. It would be next to impossible to find someone who doesn’t like these cupcakes.
72 miniature cupcakes or 24-30 regular-size cupcakes
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup hottest tap water
1 teaspoon baking soda
Chocolate Liqueur (optional)
6 ounces white chocolate
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
6 regular size Heath bars, coarsely chopped
2 cups chopped dark chocolate
1 cup whipping cream
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 24 regular muffin cups with paper liners or 72 mini muffin cups with paper liners.
- Cream the butter and sugars; add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, and chocolate; mix well.
- Stir in the flour and salt.
- Mix the hot water and baking soda and add to the batter; stir until smooth.
- Scoop into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 15-25 minutes (depending on size), or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- If using chocolate liqueur, sprinkle about a half teaspoon over the top of each cupcake to moisten.
- Mousse: Melt the white chocolate with 1/2 cup whipping cream in the microwave for about 1 minute, stirring every 10 seconds.
- Set aside until no longer warm.
- Beat the whipping cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form; add the white chocolate mixture and beat just until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised.
- Fold in the stiffly beaten egg white and toffee pieces.
- Ganache Topping: Place the chocolate and whipping cream in a microwaveable bowl; microwave 3 minutes.
- Let the mixture sit 5 minutes, whisk until thick and smooth; let sit at room temperature until no longer warm.
- Assembly: Place the cupcakes on a baking sheet.
- Spoon a generous amount of the toffee mousse on each cupcake.
- Carefully pour or spread some of the cooled ganache on top. Refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving (mini cupcakes)
Calories 123 Calories from Fat 70
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 57% Protein 5% Carb. 38%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 57 mg
Total Carbohydrate 12 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.