While berries are now available all through the year, it seems they taste best during the summer, especially when they are locally grown. If you’d rather not heat up the kitchen, these No-Bake Berry Squares are a perfect summer dessert to serve at the next outdoor cookout or get-together. Not only is this dessert attractive, but it takes advantage of the sweet beautiful berries that everyone loves.
The shortbread crust is easily made by crushing store-bought shortbread cookies, tossing the crumbs in butter, and pressing them in a baking dish. The filling uses Junket Danish Dessert, which thickens in the microwave, and the berries are added. Real whipped cream is a must for the top. The bonus is that this luscious dessert can be made the day before.
You can be fairly certain that this easy summer dessert will become a favorite, no matter which berries you have on hand.
16 ounces (or thereabouts) shortbread cookies, finely crushed or ground
4 tablespoons melted butter
4 ounces Raspberry flavored Junket Danish Dessert
1 cup water
4 cups fresh berries - raspberries, blackberries, sliced strawberries, blueberries or a mix
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
Fresh mint sprigs
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cookie crumbs and melted butter; press into the prepared dish and place in the refrigerator.
- Whisk together the Danish Dessert and water.
- Microwave on high power for 2 minutes; whisk until smooth and microwave an additional 2-3 minutes or until the mixture is boiling and clear.
- Whisk until smooth and stir in the berries, saving a few for garnish.
- Spread the berry mixture over the crust.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the berry mixture; refrigerate until set.
- Whip the cream and the powdered sugar until stiff peaks form; spread over the chilled berry mixture.
- Garnish with the reserved berries and mint sprigs.
- Cut into 16 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 290 Calories from Fat 156
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 54% Protein 2% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 17 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 57 mg
Sodium 118 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 5 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 36% Calcium 0% Iron 1%