Guest Author - Chris Curtis
You’ve just completed a report for your boss (or for a school project), and you’d like to create a cover page with a centered title and a border around the title page. You’d also like to add a header and footer to the body of the report document that you don’t want to appear on the title page. Do you need to create a separate file for the Title page? The answer is no! By using section breaks you can easily accomplish that title page in the same report file and apply a header and footer to the main body of your report.
Creating your Title
· Place your insertion point at the top of your document. Press Ctrl + Home to get there if you’d like.
· Select Break from the Insert Menu
· Choose Next Page from the Section Break area of the dialog box
· Click on OK. A new 1st page will appear with a section break shown at the top.
· Place your insertion point next to the section break and press the ENTER key twice to get above the break
· Type your title above the Section break as you’d like for it to appear.
· Format it for Font Type, Size, Bold and Paragraph alignment as you’d prefer. I like to use Ariel, 20, Bold and Right Justified.
Centering the Title on the Page
· Select Page Layout from the File menu
· Click on the Layout tab
· Under Vertical Alignment, choose Center from the drop down selection. The title will center in the middle of the page.
Adding A Border
· Select Borders and Shading from the Format menu
· Click on the Border Tab
· Choose a setting
· Choose a style
· Choose a color
· Choose weight
· Select This Section from the Apply to: drop down
· Click on OK
If you’d prefer a graphic border, you can choose an Art Style from the Art drop down instead of choosing a style, color, and weight.
Now to add your header and footer to the main body of your report.
Adding a Header and Footer
· Place your insertion point at the beginning of the main body of the report (Top of Section 2)
· Choose Header and Footer from the View menu
· Input your header and footer as you’d like
· Click on the Same as Previous button on the Header and Footer toolbar to turn it off
· Click on Close to close the header and footer view