Guest Author - Brandii Lacey
I have received several e-mails from parents who are trying to come up with fun, inexpensive ways to have fun with their kids this summer without traveling out of town.
I thought back to some fun childhood games that I played with friends and siblings growing up. After all, summer fun doesn’t have to include expensive vacations and camps.
Think back to those summer festivals or school field days where you played classic, old games that have been played for years. Those games are still popular with kids for a reason—because they are fun!
Here are fourteen of my favorite outdoor games from my childhood:
2. Four Corners
3. Mother May I
4. Red Light, Green Light
5. Egg Toss
6. Egg Balance Races with plastic spoons
7. Water balloon toss
8. Three legged races
9. Freeze Tag
10. Hide n Seek
11. Scavenger Hunts
12. Baseball, basketball, or any other sporting events that you already
have equipment for. Turn your backyward into the playing field!
13. Sidewalk chalk
If you add a few sweet desserts after playtime, you’ll have all the ingredients for a perfect summer afternoon!
Mom’s Peach Cobbler Recipe
• 2 cups peaches, chopped
• 1 stick of butter, melted
• 1 cup of sugar
• 1 cup of Bisquick
• 1 cup of milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a bowl, combine peaches with sugar.
3. Pour mixture into pan.
4. Combine Bisquick mix with one cup of milk.
5. Pour Bisquick mixture over peaches.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for forty minutes.
You can also substitute blueberries, blackberries, or cherries for the peaches. Canned fruit will work fine as well!
Banana Split Recipe
• 1 banana per person, sliced down the middle
• Vanilla ice cream
• Pineapple topping
• Hot Fudge sauce
• Whip cream
1. Place three scoops of vanilla ice cream in bowl.
2. Add a layer of pineapple topping.
3. Add a layer of cherries.
4. Top with nuts, and then add three scoops of whip cream.
5. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce and enjoy!