Fresh Peach Custard Kuchen Recipe
The following recipe for Peach Custard Kuchen was adapted from an old cookbook in my Mother’s collection; it has been a family favorite for years.
If I’m peeling several peaches, it’s worth the time to bring a pan of water to a boil; peaches can be peeled easily by plunging them in boiling water for 1 minute, then transferring them to a colander and running cold water over them. The water can be brought to boiling while I’m preparing the crust and assembling the other ingredients; then it takes just a minute or two to prepare the peaches.
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh peaches, (about 3 medium) peeled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, (about)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spray a shallow 9 x 7 x 2" or 8 x 8 x 2" glass casserole dish with non-stick spray; set aside.
- Crust: place flour, sugar (2 tablespoons), salt, and baking powder in the food processor and pulse to mix.
- Add the butter and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Pat the mixture evenly over the bottom of the baking dish and 1" up the sides.
- Topping: Arrange the peach slices evenly over the crust.
- Sprinkle the 1/3 cup sugar over the peach slices.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon evenly over all.
- Mix the egg yolks, whole egg, and whipping cream. (this mixture can be mixed in the processor or just in a bowl with a wire whisk).
- Pour the cream and egg mixture over the peaches.
- Using a nutmeg grater or Microplane, grate the nutmeg evenly over the mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 15 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 350 Calories from Fat 220
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 63% Protein 5% Carb. 32%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 155 mg
Sodium 180 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 23% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.