Basic crepes can be used to make hundreds of main dishes and desserts. They are not difficult to make, and require no special equipment. If you’re planning to make crepes often, you may want to invest in a heavy crepe pan, but a small skillet will do. I prefer to use a non-stick pan, but it isn’t absolutely necessary. Crepes made in a skillet look slightly different than crepes made with crepe makers; they have a slightly lacy look and I think they’re prettier. With a little practice, hand made crepes are just as fast as crepes made with an electric crepe maker. I have two crepe pans and use them both at the same time, which speeds up the production.
If you are an appliance fan, there are a couple of different types of crepe makers on the market. One is a round pan that is coated with a non-stick coating; you heat it up and dip it into a shallow dish of batter. The other version is one similar to those found in the crepe stands in Paris where you have a large round griddle which you pour batter on and smooth it out with a gadget that looks similar to a stick. Both of these appliances produce crepes that taste the same as those made by hand, but they have a smoother surface.
Here’s my favorite crepe recipe and step-by-step instructions.
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/4 cups flour
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter, about, for brushing on the pan
- Batter: Place the eggs, salt, melted butter, flour, and milk in blender or food processor.
- Process until thoroughly mixed, scraping the sides once or twice.
- If you have time, let the batter sit, refrigerated, for an hour or two to let the foam subside; otherwise, scoop it off and discard.
- Heat a crepe pan to high heat; brush with a little butter, then pour in 2 tablespoons batter.
- Remove the pan from the heat, immediately swirl the pan to spread the batter out.
- Place the pan back on the heat and cook until the top of the crepe looks dry. If it is cooking too fast, turn the heat down.
- Turn over and cook a second or two, then remove to a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining crepes.
Amount Per Crepe
Calories 62 Calories from Fat 30
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 14% Carb. 39%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 3 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 86 mg
Total Carbohydrate 6 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Purchase a Pinnacle Crepes Pan from Amazon
Purchase a Villaware Crepe Maker from Amazon