The name Chloe is based on a Greek name (Khloe) that means "green shoot." The name was originally one of the many epithets of the Greek goddess Demeter, goddess of the harvest and the seasons. It was also mentioned briefly in the New Testament by Paul.
The name is pronounced KLO-ee. (The same way the Greek names Phoebe, Xanthe and Zoe are pronounced FEE-bee, ZAN-thee and ZO-ee -- with that long E sound at the end.)
The name Chloe was moderately popular at the start of the 20th century in the U.S., but steadily fell out of fashion after that point. By the early 1940s, it had fallen out of the top 1,000 entirely. In the early 1980s, it was suddently revived. Here's how the name has ranked over the last two decades:
- 2009 - 9th most popular baby girl name in the U.S.
- 2008 - 10th
- 2007 - 16th
- 2006 - 18th
- 2005 - 19th
- 2004 - 23rd
- 2003 - 24th
- 2002 - 25th
- 2001 - 30th
- 2000 - 38th
- 1999 - 63rd
- 1998 - 87th
- 1997 - 109th
- 1996 - 112nd
- 1995 - 136th
- 1994 - 155th
- 1993 - 158th
- 1992 - 161st
- 1991 - 179th
- 1990 - 212nd
The spelling Khloe has also become quite trendy in the U.S. recently:
- 2009 - 95th most popular baby girl name in the U.S.
- 2008 - 196th
- 2007 - 666th
- 2006 - 961st
Chloe is also popular in other countries and regions such as Australia, England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Canada and France.
Famous women with the name Chloe/Khloe include:
- Chloe Agnew (b. 1989), Irish singer
- Chloe Dao (b. 1972), American fashion designer
- Chloe Hooper (b. 1973), Australian author
- Chloe Moretz (b. 1997), American actress
- Chloe Sainte-Marie (b. 1962), French-Canadian actress and singer
- Chloe Sevigny (b. 1974), American actress
- Chloe Webb (b. 1956), American actress
- Chloe Wofford, aka Toni Morrison (b. 1931), American author
- Khloe Kardashian (b. 1984), American television personality
|10,000 Most Popular Baby Girl Names|
Want more than the top 100 or top 1,000 baby girl names? Here's a complete list of the 10,000 most popular baby girl names in the nation! Click to learn more.