Guest Author - Launa Stout
When choosing a new set of pots and pans everyone has a short list of features that they consider absolutes. It really isn’t necessary to have racks and shelves with pots and pans of all shapes and sizes. You might do better to choose just the right pots with the features that you want and need for the type of cooking that you do. You will find that good-quality pots and pans made of the right materials really can improve your cooking.
For me I want the pans to not be too heavy, have a sturdy handle, and lids that fit well.
It is also important for me that the color of the pans coordinate with my kitchen.
Red is the color I want for my kitchen.
A few more things to look for:
• Look for heavy gauge materials as they will spread the heat evenly.
• You must have absolutely flat bottom pans if your stovetop element is electric.
“Good Conductor” is a key feature which allows for responsive heat. This means it will do with the heat source tells them – heat up or cook down almost instantly. It also means that the heat will quickly equalize the temperature on the heating surface, and will have even heat diffusion.
You'll want pots with handles and lids that are sturdy, heatproof, and secure.
Handles come welded, riveted, or screwed. Some pans have metal handles that stay cool when the pan is on the stove. Plastic and wooden handles stay cool, but then they are not ovenproof if you are making a dish that starts on the stovetop and finishes in the oven.
Lids should fit tightly to keep in moisture. You also want the lid to have a heatproof handle. Many glass lids are oven safe only up to 350°F, so be sure to check on this depending on the type of cooking you do.
Make sure that the pan feels comfortable for you. Actually, hold the pans in your hand and pantomime different things you do with your pan to see if it is right for you.
Packaged started sets of cookware are a good way to get started if you are just thinking of setting up your kitchen. They are usually priced well and allow you to have the look you want in your kitchen. Once you get that first set and find that your cooking skills are branching out and you want to buy some additional pieces it’s ok to find pans with specific purposes and then buy them. You will get more use out of the pans you hand pick yourself after that initial set, but that is because you need them for specific purposes. Branch out and add to your collection by finding different materials and specific needs.
Enjoy your kitchen, and enjoy cooking!
Do you like Rachel Ray’s line of products?
Check this out Rachael Ray 14-Piece Hard Enamel Nonstick Cookware Set, Red.
With these features:
• Durable aluminum cookware set heats quickly and evenly; includes a carbon steel baking sheet and three silicone and nylon prep tools
• The cookware's stylish two-tone exterior color makes a bold style statement; long-lasting nonstick interiors provide easy food release and cleanup
• The cookware features comfortable grippe handles double-riveted for extra strength; shatter-resistant glass lids seal in heat and moisture
• Oven safe to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (bake ware to 450 degrees; tools not oven safe), the set goes great with other Rachael Ray collection kitchenware
• Lifetime Limited Warranty
Or another suggestions is:
Guy Fieri 10-Piece Non-Stick Cookware Set (Red)
With these features:
• Interior long-lasting nonstick finish for healthy cooking, excellent release of food and easy clean up
• Riveted silicone soft spray easy grip colored handles for superior comfort and control
• Non-Stick interior for easy cleanup
• Durable aluminum construction distributes heat quickly and evenly and eliminates hot spots that can cause food to burn
• Dishwasher safe; hand wash recommended
• This set features durable aluminum construction for fast and even heat distribution and eliminates hot spots that can cause food to burn.
• The interior features a long-lasting, nonstick finish for healthy cooking, excellent release of foods and easy clean-up. Riveted stay-cool silicone and stainless steel handles provide a comfortable non-slip grip.
These sets are available from Amazon.