g Text Version
Beauty & Self
Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies

Bored? Games!
Take a Quiz
Rate My Photo

Natural Living
Folklore and Mythology
Distance Learning

All times in EST

Full Schedule
g Colleges Site

BellaOnline's Colleges Editor


Public School Careers -- Part II

Guest Author - Susan D. Bates

Part II

Below is a list of some common school-level careers requiring, in most cases, a college degree. In addition to school-level employees, school districts will employee district-level employees such as the superintendent.

Schools vary in the personnel they employ and the tasks those employees perform. In addition, some employees may be required to work at multiple schools. For example, a school may not have a school social worker, or there may be a school social worker who works at multiple schools within the same school district.

(This list was divided into two in order to meet the word limits for articles. )

School Psychologist

School psychologists receive training in both education and psychology. They assess student difficulties and provide assistance to students struggling with academic, social, emotional, and behavioral problems. School psychologists also provide crisis intervention, diagnose learning problems, and perform testing.

School psychologists must be licensed by the state in which they work. The minimum education for school social workers is usually a masterís degree in school psychology.

School Resource Officer

School resource officers typically work for the local law enforcement agency but are based in a school. They work closely with the school administration to keep the school safe for students and employees. They also arrest students who are violating the law. In addition, many school resource officers provide mentoring and guidance to students.

The minimum required education of school resource officers varies by the law enforcement agency the officer is employed through. Many agencies prefer to hire candidates with a minimum of an associateís degree in criminal justice or a related field.

Speech-Language pathologist

Speech-language pathologists diagnose and treat students with communication disorders. They work with students individually and in small groups; collaborate with teachers, staff and parents; and preform other functions to help students improve their communication ability.

Speech-language pathologists must be licensed by the state where they work. The minimum education for school social workers is typically a masterís degree in speech therapy. Most speech therapy masterís degree programs require a bachelorís degree in communication disorders.

School Social Worker

School social workers use school and community resources to help students. In addition to working directly with students, school social workers often work closely with the families of students. School social workers provide services such as case management, consultation, community referrals, and crisis intervention.

School social workers must be licensed by the state where they work. The minimum education for school social workers is usually a bachelorís degree in social work with a practical experience in a school.


Teachers develop and implement academic lessons and evaluate the studentsí progress. Teachers work closely with students and parents to foster the intellectual development of their students.

Teachers must be licensed though the state where they work. The minimum education for teachers is typically a bachelorís degree in education with a student teaching experience. There are alternative routes to obtaining certification, especially in vocational and hard-to-fill teaching fields.

Teacher Assistant

Teacher Assistants provide instructional and clerical support for teachers, allowing them to devote more time to struggling students, creating lesson plans, and preforming other duties. Teacher assistants may teach and supervise students, take attendance, grade tests, and maintain classroom order.

The minimum requirements for teacher assistants vary by state. The preferred educational level for a teacher assistant is often a minimum of an associate degree.

Use the information from this list to help you decide if a career in public school education is right for you. Continue to research the professions you found interesting by reading more information about the career, conducting informational interviews with professionals in the field, and shadowing professionals.

This site needs an editor - click to learn more!

Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Twitter Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Facebook Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to MySpace Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Digg Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Yahoo My Web Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Google Bookmarks Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Stumbleupon Add Public+School+Careers+%2D%2D+Part+II to Reddit

Public School Careers -- Part I
School Social Worker Sue Cataen-Ingram
Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

For FREE email updates, subscribe to the Colleges Newsletter

Past Issues

Printer Friendly
tell friend
Tell a Friend
Email Editor

Content copyright © 2018 by Susan D. Bates. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Susan D. Bates. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.


g features
Top 5 Resume Tips

Informational Interview Questions to Ask

Informational Interviews - Finding Professionals

Archives | Site Map


Past Issues

Note: BellaOnline uses cookies to help provide a consistent user experience. Our advertisers may use cookies to help customize ads. Please contact us with any question about our cookie use.

Summertime Foods
Corn on the Cob
Burgers on the Grill
Apple Pie


| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2018 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.

BellaOnline Editor