Curly hair can be beautiful, easy to wear and the envy of all your friends or it can drive you crazy. Many curly girls tend to wear only one style, letting their curls do their own thing. The styles described below are two attractive ways to control curly hair. This half-updo and updo are created in layered hair that is shoulder length. The styles are designed to be loose and sexy – a cluster of carefree tendrils.
- Shampoo and condition your hair with moisturizing or smoothing products to help fight dryness and prevent frizzy ends.
- Towel blot your hair and apply a liberal amount of serum or hair cream to further calm frizzies.
- If your hair is fine in texture, apply mousse or gel to give it body and to keep the curls in individual tendrils.
Dry your hair naturally. You may use a diffuser or simply let it air dry if you have time.
- When it is thoroughly dry – and not before - run your fingers through it to fluff and loosen the curls.
- Prepare your hair as above.
- Pick up a small strand from the front center. The base of the strand should be about a nickel size in diameter.
- Pull the strand back and twist it, turning it over several times. Place it at the crown of your head. Secure it with a bobby pin, allowing the ends to curl freely.
- Pick up another strand from beside the first. Pull it back and twist it just as you did the first, securing it with a bobby pin.
- Continue picking strands, twisting them and placing them at the back of your head until you have as much hair or as little hair in the half-updo as it takes to look good.
To use bobby pins. When the hair is twisted, slide the bobby pin over the strand until the hair is inside the round opening at the end of the pin. Close the bobby pin. Turn it and slide it into the hair or under a previous curl - without opening the bobby pin – until it feels snug.
To create a full updo from the half updo created above, continue picking up strands from either side, pull them back while twisting them. Secure them with bobby pins, hiding the pins under the existing curls. You can make the cluster as big or as small as you want.
To finish your curly updo, spray it lightly with medium hold hairspray.