Peanuts, Pretzels, and White Chocolate make a classic sweet and salty combination. These simple ingredients can be combined easily to make the following cute and festive Easter nests, which have been a tradition in our home for many years. My grandchildren love to help me make them. When arranged in an Easter basket, they make a perfect centerpiece for an Easter Brunch.
These Easter nests are not only quick and easy, they can be made months ahead; if kept in an airtight container (and hidden), they keep indefinitely.
If you’re making these nests with children, there are step-by-step instructions with pictures on Isabella Cooks, a cooking site for kids.
When melting white chocolate in the microwave, be very careful, since white chocolate can burn. Candy color is available at some craft stores and restaurant supplies. If you have trouble finding it, you may substitute powdered green food coloring. Paste and liquid food coloring will cause the white chocolate to seize (or go thick and lumpy); it cannot be used if this happens.
White Chocolate Easter Nests
1 pound white chocolate, chopped, or use chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
4 cups thin pretzels, broken into 1 1/2 inch pieces
Green candy color
Jelly Beans, (no black)
Cadbury Mini Eggs
- Line at least two baking sheets with waxed paper or parchment.
- Place the white chocolate in a microwaveable bowl or measuring cup
- Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir.
- If the white chocolate isn’t melted, microwave in 20 second increments, stirring after each increment, until melted. (You can also melt the white chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water, stirring until smooth and creamy, but it takes longer than the microwave; it necessary to stir it constantly until melted).
- Stir in several drops of green candy color.
- Mix the nuts and pretzels in a large bowl.
- Pour the tinted white chocolate over the mixture, and stir until all is covered with the chocolate.
- Scoop the mixture onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Press three jelly beans or Cadbury mini eggs into the middle of each nest.
- Cool to room temperature or refrigerate until set.
- The nests may be kept in a cool place indefinitely.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 99 Calories from Fat 48
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 48% Protein 9% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 112 mg
Total Carbohydrate 10 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%