Are you feeling blah about school or work lunches? Try this healthy calzone for a tasty change.
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, finely chopped
- 2 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tsp olive oil
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 can pizza crust dough
- Lay the minced artichoke hearts on paper towels so they can continue to drain.
- In a bowl combine the mushrooms, spinach, cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add the artichoke hearts and 1 tsp olive oil, mix gently.
- Coat a cookie sheet with 1 tsp olive oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal (optional).
- Roll out the pizza crust onto the cookie sheet.
- Cut the crust into 6 equal pieces. Pat and stretch each section into a 6" x 5" piece.
- Spoon 1/2-2/3 cup of the artichoke-mushroom mixture into the center of each pizza crust piece.
- Fold one corner over the artichoke mixture to form a triangle.
- Press the edges of the dough together to seal.
- Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.
Note: Let the calzones completely cool down before wrapping. If you wrap them while still warm the crust will get soggy. Experiment with the stuffing. You can quickly cook the spinach and mushrooms. Try cooked chicken, ham, or pepperoni instead of mushrooms. If you like blue cheese reduce the Mozzarella by 1/2 cup and add 1/2 crumbled blue cheese.