The Mint Julep is the official cocktail of the Kentucky Derby, which is always held on the first Saturday in May at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky. It consists of Kentucky whiskey mixed with fresh mint and simple syrup. The flavors of the Mint Julep are captured in this refreshing Mint Julep Sorbet; since the whisky is added to the boiling syrup, the alcohol evaporates, so it’s essentially non-alcoholic. For those watching fat intake, there are zero grams of fat in a serving of this delicious dessert.
Modern automatic ice cream freezers take the work out of making frozen desserts. They are very inexpensive, too. Warehouse stores feature them in the spring for under $50. With these machines, a chilled liquid an be made into a frozen mixture in about 20 minutes with only enough hands-on time to pour a mixture into the frozen bowl. Although the sorbet can be served right out of the ice cream machine, it has a better texture if allowed to sit in the freezer for a few hours; it can be made a week or so ahead.
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups packed fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1/3 cup Kentucky Bourbon
- Measure the water, sugar, mint leaves, lime juice, and bourbon in a large saucepan.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture boils, uncover the pan, stir well, and let boil 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture sit until it cools to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture through a fine strainer and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- After freezing, transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours.
- To serve garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 1
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 1% Protein 1% Carb. 85%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 0 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 2 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 38 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 33% Calcium 0% Iron 3%