Getting Married in Germany

Getting Married in Germany
A romantic wedding in Germany... the stuff that dreams are made of! If you are planning on getting married in Germany, there are several legal hoops to jump through. The key to success, as always, is good research and preparation.

Always check with your embassy well in advance for up-to-date requirements. Many embassies recommend that you arrange your German wedding through a professional agency, but here are some guidelines if you choose to do-it-yourself.


The following documents may be required:

- Passports
- Birth certificates - long form including names of parents
- Evidence of termination of all previous marriages – previous marriage certificates, final divorce decrees (including certificate of finality of divorce), annulment decrees or death certificates
- Certificates of no impediment (Ledigkeitsbescheinigung) or a declaration of single status
- Health certificates – if required under laws of home country
- Salary statement or bank statement - the fee for the marriage is commensurate to financial status
- Marriage certificate of parents (unless birth certificate indicates date of marriage of parents)
- Certificates of registration (Anmeldenachweis) – from local resident registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt)
- Military personnel must submit consent to the marriage from their Commanding Officer

Certificates of No Impediment - For citizens of countries that do not issue such certificates, an affidavit by the applicants, declaring that there are no impediments to their marriage under the laws of their country of residence. The affidavit must be completed in English and German and must be sworn before a Consular Officer in Germany. Not required in certain parts of Germany, so check with the Standesamt for local requirements.

All civil documents should be originals endorsed with an Apostille Stamp.

All documents issued in a foreign language must be accompanied by official translations.


Only civil weddings are legally recognized. A religious ceremony may only be performed after a civil ceremony. Marriages are performed by the registrar (Standesbeamter) at the office of vital statistics (Standesamt) in the town hall (Rathaus).

Notice of Impending Marriage

Only one party needs to be present to register the notice of impending marriage at the Standesamt, providing the other party has signed a power of attorney. Bring a translator unless you are fluent in German.

If neither party is a resident of Germany, apply to one of the four alien registry offices. The civil ceremony may then be performed at any Standesamt.

For further information, please contact:

Standesamt München
Ruppertstrasse 11
80337 München
Phone: 89 233 00

North Germany
Hauptstandesamt Hamburg
Borgfelder Str. 64
20537 Hamburg
Phone: 40 428 54 0
Fax: 40 428 54 4937

Southwest Germany
Standesamt Baden-Baden
Augustaplatz 1
76530 Baden-Baden
Phone: 7221 93 2160
Fax: 7221 93 2168

Other Areas in Germany
Standesamt I Berlin
Rückerstrasse 9
10119 Berlin
Phone: 30 90 207 0
Fax: 30 90 207 245

This site needs an editor - click to learn more!

You Should Also Read:
More on Germany
Getting Married in Denmark
Germany Facts

Related Articles
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Previous Features
Site Map

Content copyright © 2022 by Lisa Shea. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lisa Shea. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact BellaOnline Administration for details.