Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Hot &Spicy Newsletter Octoter (04)
Tired of Beef? Try Lamb
When properly prepared, lamb is moist, tender and delicious. I enjoy it with most root vegetables. The recipes below don't take a lot of time to cook, and each one is uniquely different.
Barbecued Lamb Cubes. I use this recipe for outdoor BBQ's and indoor oven BBQ also. I buy lamb because I have friends who have restricted diets. If your family thinks they don't like lamb, this recipe will change their minds.
Barbecued Lamb Cubes
2 lb lamb for stewing cut into large cubes
3 garlic minced garlic
2 tblspn grapeseed or vegetable oil
1/2 tspn cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
1 large pinch of brown sugar (white will do, but brown sugar adds another layer of flavor)
5 tblspn lemon juice (use fresh only)
Directions: Heat oven to 350 degrees
1. Add all ingredients in bowl except the lamb, stir and blend well.
2. Place lamb in bowl and marinate overnight in fridge or for at least 3 hours.
3. Remove lamb and pat dry on paper towels.
4. Save marinade for basting
5. Place cubes in large broiling pan and baste. Cook for 1/2 hour, turn cubes and baste again.
6. Cook until brown and slightly caramelized.
I don't have a real cooking time for this because I have always made this by 'feel'. However, the meat should be tender and juicy when fully cooked. Do not overcook.
Another lamb recipe to try. The sweet and tangy glaze make these lamb chops a hit.
Glazed Lamb Chop Recipe
4 lamb chops (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick)
1/2 tspn ground cloves
2 tbspn Guldens brown mustard
5 tspn dark brown sugar
1 tbspn grapeseed or vegetable oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Heat oven to 375 degrees
1. Brush lamb chops with oil.
2. Cook over high heat to sear both sides. Apprx. 2 mins. per side.
3. Mix oil, cloves, brown sugar and mustard together. Brush mixture on both sides of lamb chops.
4. Bake in oven for about 8 mins. - or until done. Chops should be slightly pink in middle. Good served with small red potatoes and steamed broccoli.
Other Uses For Cloves
Cloves with their strong, sweet, spicy flavor and pungent aroma are used in the USA mainly for baking. Ground cloves are added to applesauce, gingerbread, cookies, muffins and cakes. Cloves are also added sauces (barbecue sauce) and some soups. Whole cloves are used in potpourri.
For crossword puzzle fans - I have read that cloves are used Indonesia to make clove cigarettes which are called "kreteks".
Side Vegetable Dish
Braised celery is excellent with spicy lamb or beef. This is a quick and pretty way to serve celery. If you have not had this vegetable as a cooked dish you are missing a treat. I was introduced to this the first time I had rack of lamb. This recipe is simple and very nice to serve with hot buttered noodles.
7 to Celery stalks with strings pulled from stalks
1/4 stick unsalted butter
1 cup chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut celery into 6" pieces.
2. Bring chicken broth to boil in sauce pan. Lower heat and place celery in pan and cover. Cook until fork tender.
3. Remove cover and add butter. Stir and saute until sauce stars to thicken.
4. Add salt and pepper if desired.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2014 by Vannie Ryanes. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Vannie Ryanes. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Vannie Ryanes for details.
Website copyright © 2014 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.