Recipe for Triple Treat Halloween Bars
Canned pumpkin saves time, but ambitious cooks who have plenty of time can certainly prepare pumpkin at home and use it in these squares; the results will be identical. Because of the attractive marbling of the pumpkin, chocolate, and cream cheese batters, a light dusting of powdered sugar is all that is needed to top the squares.
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 15 oz. can (2 cups) pure pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Cream Cheese Batter:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a 17 x 11 inch jelly-roll pan with parchment or spray with non-stick spray.
- Cream the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and pumpkin until light and well-mixed.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; add to the pumpkin mixture.
- Measure 2 1/2 cups of the pumpkin mixture and place in a bowl.
- Pour the remaining batter onto the prepared pan.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwaveable container; microwave 1 to 2 minutes or until melted; stir until smooth.
- Stir the melted chocolate into the reserved pumpkin batter.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream cheese with the egg and 1/3 cup sugar until smooth.
- Drop spoonfuls of the two batters evenly over the top of the pumpkin batter. Run the knife through the batters to swirl.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the center springs back when pressed lightly and the brownies pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool completely; sift a little powdered sugar over the top and cut into 48 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 128 Calories from Fat 59
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 5% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 25 mg
Sodium 87 mg
Total Carbohydrate 16 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 10 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 40% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.