Happy January 2005 Everyone!
In the December issue of Hot & Spicy Foods newsletter I talked about incorporating fruit into daily meals. Pears are a good start. Most people like them and they they cook up nicely. Buy pears often, they are an excellent source of fiber, potassium and vitamin C. Plus one medium-sized pear is only about 100 calories. Below are some pear recipes along with others that appeared earlier this month. But first, I would like to share this easy casserole-type green bean recipe. The bread to serve with this dish is corn bread or corn muffins.
Spicy Green Beans
2 15 oz. cans whole green beans, drained
1 medium white onion, sliced
1 can Rotel Tomatoes*
Salt to taste
Cook onion until transparent. Add green beans and tomatoes and stir to mix. Cook covered over low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice.
*Rotel is a brand. Use 'original' Ro*tel Diced Tomatoes and Green chilies. If you love hot and spicy foods, all varieties of these tomatoes should be a staple in your kitchen.
Pear Recipes and More:
- Pear and Onion Relish brings out the best when it tops shrimp or scallops.
- Make yourself a spicy grilled cheese sandwich. Pepper Jack in Carrozza is dipped, battered, sauteed and delicious. It makes a perfect light meal with Spiced Pears and a glass of white wine (or ginger ale).
- Find Blue Cheese Stuffed Pear(s), Easy Microwaved Poached Pears, Pears with Prosciutto and What to Look for When Buying Pears in Savory Pear Recipes".
- If you think iceberg lettuce is a little bland. Perk it up with a spicy dressing. This Asian Type Salad Dressing is great over iceberg.
- Have a little fun or go elegant and carve Bread Bowls for Your Soup
Also, look for these recipes later this month: Blackened Red Snapper and Tomato-Onion Confetti.
*Too much salt in your soup? A cup potato will remove some of the salt by absorbing it. Cut up a medium or large raw potato and add it to the soup pot.
Look for spotlight on peaches next month.
Hot & Spicy Editor
Add some spice to your life!