This is a fantastic northern Italian dish! It is made with rice and other wonderful ingredients.
When I lived in Vicenza I discovered Insalata al Capriccio. It is a rice salad with cheese, ham, and fresh herbs. On my weekly shopping trip into the city center I would stop at Ristorante Self Service Righetti. Whenever possible I would have my favorite rice salad. During a cooking course in Trentino I learned to create this dish.
It is a great spring dish. You don't need to buy lots of ingredients, just turn to your refrigerator--Hence the name "caprice." Within reason, you can use what strikes your fancy. This recipe also breathes life into left over Easter ham. This recipe will make an amount perfect for a pot-luck dinner. Make this recipe for a light home cooked meal at work.
Rice Salad Caprice
- 10 oz rice
- 3 ounces Swiss cheese
- 4 ounces ham
- 1 dill pickle
- 1 tsp capers
- 1 small can button mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 Tbs dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon
- Add the rice to a medium size pot. Add 20 ounces of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat so that the water is simmering.
- Cover the pot and cook approximately 20 minutes. Don't over cook the rice, it should be just done.
- Drain the rice and spread it on a cookie sheet to cool.
- Cut the cheese, ham, and pickle into small cubes.
- Mix the salt, pepper, mustard, olive oil, parsley, and juice of the lemon. Set this aside.
- Put the cooled rice in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cheese, ham, pickle, capers, mushrooms, and mix well.
- Add the dressing and mix well.
- Let the rice salad rest for a half hour before serving.
Get Fresh! Italian Cooking
Over 100 Italian recipes, tips, and ideas for the cucina fresca (fresh kitchen). Essential Italian appetizers, main dishes, pasta, sauces, vegetables, soups, and desserts. The recipes are practical and easy to follow.