Beautiful Holiday Pavlova Wreath Recipe
This dessert is pretty enough to serve as a centerpiece on a buffet table. To make it easier on the cook, both the meringue wreath and the cranberry curd can be made ahead; assembly takes only about 10 minutes, so you can do it at the last minute. The garnish is Christmas greenery – silk works well because it can be washed. Of course, if it is more convenient, fresh pine boughs, holly, pine cones, etc. can be used as garnish; just make sure guests don't eat them because some are poisonous. Hopefully this showstopper dessert will show up either at Christmas or New Year's; guests will be impressed, but certainly won't guess that it was so easy.
4 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 pinch salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 cups fresh cranberries, washed and drained
1 cup water
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup softened butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 pinch salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 pints fresh raspberries, washed and drained
- Meringue Wreath: Preheat oven to 200°.
- Line a shallow baking sheet with parchment; draw a 12" circle on the parchment (trace a dinner plate).
- Place the egg whites, cream of tartar, and dash salt in a large mixer bowl and beat at high speed until frothy.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, and continue beating until the mixture is shiny and thick.
- Spoon onto the prepared baking sheet in the shape of a wreath, using the circle as a guide.
- With your spatula, draw peaks out of the mixture to resemble leaves. Place in the oven and bake 1 hour; turn off the oven and let sit for 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly; transfer the wreath to a decorative serving platter.
- Cranberry Curd:Meanwhile. place the cranberries and water in a microwave-safe container.
- Microwave 5 minutes; stir and smash the cranberries; microwave an additional 2 minutes, stir the mixture, and press it through a fine strainer into a bowl.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, salt, sugar, and softened butter; whisk in the cranberry mixture.
- Microwave 3 minutes; whisk until smooth.
- Microwave 3-4 additional minutes, until boiling.
- Whisk until smooth and press the mixture through the fine strainer, place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the curd, and let cool.
- Mix 1 cup of the cooled mixture with the raspberries.
- Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar to stiff peaks.
- Assembly: Spread the whipped cream evenly over the wreath.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cranberry curd (the plain curd without the raspberries) over the cream and swirl.
- Top with the raspberry mixture.
- Garnish with holiday greenery, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and chill until serving time.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 315 Calories from Fat 129
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 41% Protein 4% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per % Daily
Total Fat 14 g 22%
Saturated Fat 8 g 41%
Cholesterol 109 mg 36%
Sodium 473 mg 20%
Total Carbohydrate 43 g 14%
Dietary Fiber 1 g 6%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 21% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.