Fresh Berry Lemon Cream Cheese Torte Recipe
Frozen puff pastry is readily available in the frozen food section of almost every grocery store. If possible, choose a brand made with real butter. You can also make your own, if you have time – homemade is buttery, flaky, and incredibly good, albeit a bit time consuming.
1/2 pound frozen puff pastry, either frozen or homemade, (1 sheet)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into chunks
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
6 cups fresh berries, (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries)
1/2 to 3/4 cup orange marmalade, warmed and stirred to thin
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Crust: Thaw the puff pastry and roll it out either into a 15" round or a 10" x 14" rectangle (about 1/4" thick).
- Place the pastry on the prepared baking sheet and prick the entire surface with a fork.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Do not underbake or the finished product will be soggy.
- Remove from the oven and cool thoroughly.
- Filling: Mix the 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a microwaveable bowl; whisk in the water, lemon juice, grated zest, and egg yolks.
- Microwave on high power, whisking every minute or so, until clear and thick, 3-5 minutes.
- Add cream cheese and stir to melt.
- Cool while preparing meringue.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add the 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into the partially cooled lemon mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the puff pastry.
- Scatter the berries over the filling.
- Brush liberally with the orange marmalade.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- To serve, cut into wedges; top with sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 323 Calories from Fat 130
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 5% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 61 mg
Sodium 159 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 77% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.