Patriotic Dessert Waffles Recipe
The basic recipe makes about six waffles in a standard 7" Belgium waffle maker, either the round electric model or the rectangle stovetop model. Of course you can use any waffle iron you happen to have, but the yield will vary depending on the size of your iron. Another time, try these waffles with butter and powdered sugar, ice cream and hot fudge sauce, Nutella, or any topping that strikes your fancy. Although the recipe says it serves six, the serving size is extra big; most will be happy with half of a waffle, so you can actually get 10-12 servings from this recipe.
6 Extra-Large Servings
3 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Mix the strawberries, blueberries, and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl; stir to mix and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla.
- Place a fine sieve or strainer over the bowl and place the flour, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt in the sieve.
- Shake the mixture into the milk mixture.
- Whisk until fairly smooth - there will be a few lumps, and that is as it should be.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Spray the waffle iron liberally with non-stick spray and scoop about a cup of the batter onto the iron.
- Bake according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Meanwhile, beat the heavy cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
- To serve, place a waffle on each plate, cover with some of the whipped cream, and top with berries.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 695 Calories from Fat 339
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 7% Carb. 44%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 38 g
Saturated Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 226 mg
Sodium 318 mg
Total Carbohydrate 77 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 12 g
Vitamin A 29% Vitamin C 78% Calcium 0% Iron 7%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.