Cookies are always in demand, especially at outdoor gatherings and barbecues where homemade ice cream is served. Most of us are pretty busy, and it’s sometimes not possible to find the time to bake. However, since bar cookies are the fastest, almost everyone will find the time to make the following Loaded Oatmeal Bars. The dough takes only 10-15 minutes to put together, and the baking time is only 15-20 minutes. If the weather is hot outside, bake these in the morning so as not to heat up the kitchen. Although it’s possible to add almost anything to the basic dough, toffee bits, coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans are a combination that draws raves. These bars are chewy, crunchy, and absolutely luscious.
Other add-in possibilities are raisins (with a little freshly grated nutmeg), dates, white chocolate chips, walnuts, cashews, macadamia nuts, dried cherries, chopped dried apricots – almost anything you can think of. These bars are so quick to put together, they’ll most likely become “the” go-to treat for busy times and filling up the cookie jar.
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, (no subs)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
3 cups quick cooking rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup toffee baking bits
- Cream the sugars and butter until light; add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Stir in the flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and soda; mix well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, coconut, toffee bits, and pecans.
- Spread or pat the dough evenly onto a parchment lined jellyroll pan (12 1/2" x 17 1/2"). It’s easier with wet hands.
- Bake at 350° about 15-18 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Do not overbake.
- Cool before cutting into 48 bars or squares and store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 177 Calories from Fat 82
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 49%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 95 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%