Slow Cooker Triple Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
In her fun culinary mystery book, Dangerously Dark, Colette London says, "Did you know that the smell of chocolate increases theta brain waves, which promote relaxation?" And as you know, one of the advantages of having food cooking in the slow cooker is that the aroma permeates the entire house. This incredibly moist cake has enough chocolate for the most dedicated chocoholic. It's good warm from the slow cooker, and also at room temperature. Just wrap up any leftovers in plastic wrap; they won't last long, since the cake is really addicting. You can add whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if you like.
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 2/3 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, (preferably Dutch cocoa)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 pound zucchini, shredded (2-2 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup whipping cream
- Spray the inside of an 8 or 9-inch round slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Cut a piece of parchment to fit, and place it inside; spray the parchment with non-stick spray.
- Beat the butter, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and instant coffee until thick and smooth.
- Measure the flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a fine strainer set over the mixing bowl; shake through.
- Mix well and add the zucchini.
- Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and scrape into the prepared crock of the slow cooker.
- Spread evenly and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Cover, set the slow cooker to high, and let "bake" 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the center is set.
- Tilt the lid and let sit 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the cake and invert onto a serving plate or cooling rack.
- Let cool while making the ganache.
- Ganache: Place the 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Pour the whipping cream over and microwave 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the microwave and let sit 3 minutes; whisk until smooth.
- Spread the mixture over the inverted cake and serve warm or at room temperature.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 146
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 200 mg
Total Carbohydrate 39 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 8% Vitamin C 3% Calcium 0% Iron 5%
You can order Dangerously Dark from Amazon: Dangerously Dark (A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery)
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.