Slow Cooker Mini Christmas Puddings Recipe
Brandy butter is the traditional topping for Christmas pudding, but you can use rum instead, or you can top your puddings with caramel ice cream topping, or sweetened whipped cream. This recipe is one that has been adapted from a recipe published in English food writer Jane Grigson’s cookbook, Jane Grigson’s English Food., It contains dried fruits, as well as a small amount of the obligatory candied peel. The fruits and peel can be varied according to personal taste. These moist puddings would do Bob Cratchit proud (and probably Charles Dickens, too).
12 Large Servings
4 cups fresh bread crumbs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup dates
1/4 cup candied peel
1 1/3 cups shredded suet
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons English Mixed Spice (If you can’t find mixed spice, mix 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg.)
Grated rind of 1 lemon, plus juice of 1/2
1/2 cup milk
1 12 oz. bottle Guinness
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons brandy, or rum
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Mix the bread crumbs, brown sugar, raisins, dates, peel, suet, salt, and spices.
- Add the eggs, lemon rind and juice, milk, and Guinness; mix well. The batter will be quite a sloppy mess, but this is as it should be.
- Divide the mixture between 12 ramekins (3/4 - 1 cup size).
- Tear a large piece of foil, spray the underside with nonstick spray, then cut into 12 pieces.
- Cover each of the ramekins tightly with a piece of foil.
- Place in the bottom of one or two slow cookers, and pour water halfway up the ramekins.
- Cover the slow cooker(s), turn to the high setting, and let steam 4-6 hours or until set.
- The puddings can be cooled, then frozen at this point, or served warm immediately with a scoop of Brandy Butter.
- Brandy Butter: Whip the ingredients together until light. Refrigerate up to 2 weeks if not using right away.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 707 Calories from Fat 362
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 4% Carb. 42%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 40 g
Saturated Fat 23 g
Cholesterol 95 mg
Sodium 522 mg
Total Carbohydrate 75 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 15%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.