Apple Motion Cheat Sheet
Apple MotionR Cheat SheetNeed to find out how to do something fast! Here are the steps to performing the most basic tasks in Apple Motion
Start a New Project
- Project Browser - Blank Motion Project
- Project Browser - Broadcast HD 720 or HD 1080 and 29.97 fps
- Project Browser - Set Duration in seconds
- From the menu at the upper right, set the Zoom Level to the Fit option
- From the Channels menu at the upper right, choose the Transparent option
- Motion Interface
- Select Project Layer in Layers pane
- Inspector - Properties - Background - Solid (alpha channel)
- Inspector - Properties - Background Color - Color Picker - choose a color
- View - Show Overlays
- View - Overlays - Safe Zones
- The Action Safe Region is within 90% of screen
- The Title Safe Region is within 80% of screen
- Background Layer:
- Select the default Project layer
- Rename the Project layer to the name of your project
- Rename the Group layer to Background
- Add an image (.psd), solid color, gradient color or animation
- Close layer via Disclosure Triangle
- File - Import - choose your .psd image
- In the dialog box, choose Merged Layers, All Layers, or an individual layer to import
- Image will be centered on Canvas
- Rename the new Group layer to Scene 1 or your choice
- By default, the image will span the Timeline. Reposition the end points for the in and out frames as needed
- Move the pointer to one end of the object bar. When the pointer changes to the trim pointer, drag the end of the bar to the desired In or Out frame.
- As you drag, the tooltip will dynamically indicate the In or Out points and new Duration for the bar.
- With the Object Bar selected, place the Playhead at the new In or Out point.
- From the Menu, click Mark - Mark In or Mark - Mark Out as needed.
- To move one keyframe on the timeline, click on the keyframe red triangle and drag along the timeline.
- To move both keyframes for an animation but maintain the duration of the animation on the timeline, select both keyframe red triangles and drag to the new beginning location.
- H.264 will not export with transparent background
- Click Share - Export Movie to open dialog box
- Set Export (Options tab) to Apple ProRes 4444
- Set Color (Render tab) to Color and Alpha
- Set Render Quality (Render tab) to Best
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Diane Cipollo. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Diane Cipollo. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Diane Cipollo for details.