English Sticky Gingerbread Recipe
English Sticky Gingerbread keeps well in an airtight container on the shelf. It is great sliced and spread with butter, or eaten as is. You can also bake this recipe in small loaf pans to wrap and give as gifts.
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup golden syrup
1/3 cup black treacle, or molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons ground ginger
3 1/2 ounces preserved ginger, chopped (1/2 cup packed)
1 1/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray two 8.5 x 4.5 x 2.5 loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Cream the butter with the egg, golden syrup, black treacle, and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, mixed spice, salt, and ground ginger into a fine strainer and shake through over the butter/syrup mixture.
- Add the preserved ginger and mix, adding the milk gradually, until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans.
- Bake 35- 45 minutes or until a toothpick, when inserted in the middle, comes out clean.
- Let the loaves sit five minutes, run a knife around the outside of each loaf, and invert onto cooling racks. Turn right side up and let cool thoroughly before slicing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 257 Calories from Fat 83
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 6% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 322 mg
Total Carbohydrate 40 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 15%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.