Southern Apple Dumpling Recipe
If you are looking for a good “soul food” dessert, these Southern Apple Dumplings are perfect. Serve them anytime, but definitely on the Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday which is always celebrated on the third Monday in January. A scoop or two of good ice cream is the perfect accompaniment to a warm dumpling. Cobbler aficionados who love lots of crust will especially love these, since they are thoroughly wrapped in light, slightly sweet, thick and buttery crust. The following recipe was modernized and adapted from an old southern soul food cookbook, and is definitely a keeper.
3 cups flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
2 egg yolks
3 to 6 tablespoons ice water
6 large Granny Smith apple, pared, cored, and sliced
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
6 tablespoons butter
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a shallow baking sheet with parchment.
- Mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl; cut in the butter until it is the size of small peas.
- Mix the egg yolks and 3 tablespoons of the ice water; pour into the butter mixture and mix until it holds together, adding more ice water if necessary to make a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to a floured pastry cloth or counter.
- Roll out into a square 24" x 24" and cut into six squares.
- Toss the filling ingredients, except the butter, together until well mixed and divide between the pastry squares; place a tablespoon of butter on top of each of the squares.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg; bring the corners of each pastry to the center, and press to form a package, using more egg wash if necessary.
- Place the packages on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with the topping ingredients.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to cooling racks and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 834 Calories from Fat 347
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 39 g
Saturated Fat 23 g
Cholesterol 197 mg
Sodium 565 mg
Total Carbohydrate 113 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 19 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 37% Vitamin C 19% Calcium 0% Iron 13%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.