Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Stop buying clothes just because they are on sale. You don't need a closet full of cheap stuff and items no one else wanted in the first place. Most bargain items are going to be of poor quality that doesn't fit right or isn't flattering. Instead, go out and get the basics. Purchasing a few style essentials will make all the difference when it comes to adding new items to your wardrobe. By investing in essentials pieces first, and supplementing with accessories and fun stuff afterwards, you'll be way ahead of the styling game. Four "just OK" tops will never take you as far as a well made button down shirt. Ten hoodies will never garner a compliment like a spectacular jacket will. In the end you will most likely have spent less money by looking better.
These 10 Timeless classics are necessities for your closet. Think Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Anne Hathaway ala Devil wears Prada. The Jackie Kennedy looks along with Grace Kelly clothes are winners as well. These mainstays are a necessity for everyone and never go out of style.
10. A fabulous pair of boots. Tailor these to your personal style and needs but make sure they are of good quality and will last. One pair of amazing boots can dress down an outfit or dress it up, depending on how you wear them. Have a shift and sweater? Donne those great boot and you don't look too overdressed for going out with friends. Just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt? Those same boots will add style and pizzazz to your look
9. Leather Jacket - whether is a motorcycle crop that makes your outfit zing, or a long, lean classic cut. That black leather will carry you far.
8. Black Pump. Choose a heel to your liking. Just make sure there is a heel. Even if you are super tall,, a little kitten heel will dress up your outfit and make your look complete.
7. Sundress. You may think this is just limited to a summer day. Any cotton dress can be paired with a cardigan, tights and boots. Then it will wear just as well into the winter.
6. Speaking of black cardigans. Have one of these in your closet at all times. During summer months when we are moving from the hot outdoors into the chill air-conditioned walls, have a well fitting cardigan to keep the chill away. Likewise, when you experience the in-between temps when you don't need an actual coat or jacket. This same cardigan will serve you well. Unlike a hoodie that will always look casual and at times border on sloppy, your basic black cardigan will dress up or down your outfit while supplying you with an extra layer when needed.
5. Denim jacket. One with history is preferable, one that's well washed and worn. Much like a pair of boots, a denim jacket is classic. It will dress up or down depending on how you pair it. One little black dress and a denim jacket are always yell, "fun."
4. Vintage clutch. We are people who need their bags. one is for the gym. Another is for the office. Every woman needs a clutch that has some history. Whether there is beading ala the 1940's or a little glam from the '80s. Your clutch will carry you well while you carry it.
3. Ballet flat. Everyone needs a pair of these. They need to be dressy-ish and they need to super comfortable. If they don't make your feet happy, there's really no point to wearing them. Being only 5" tall, I rarely wear a pair of shoes that doesn't have a heel. That doesn't mean I don't look great when I wear my favorite flats with a pair of slacks. Even my short, stubby legs look good in a pair.
2. Little Black Dress. Of course, no wardrobe is complete without a LBD. Black looks good on everyone and it's always a good decision. Keep one in your closet. Trust me, it will pair with your boots, heels or flats - depending on the event. Add a cardigan and you can wear it to work. The denim jacket and your LBD will take you to happy hour with friends. You'll get plenty of mileage with this one item.
1. Trench. Duh...of course number one is the trench. Again Audrey, Anne, Jackie, Grace and countless other fashion icons have reached for this go-to staple for decades. Don't be left in the rain. Get your trench. You'll be blown away how often you will wear this one.
| Related Articles | Editor's Picks Articles | Top Ten Articles | Previous Features | Site Map
Content copyright © 2015 by Lisa Plancich. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Lisa Plancich. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Lisa Plancich for details.
Website copyright © 2016 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.