Sopapilla Sundaes Recipe
If you’re having a Cinco de Mayo party, these Sopapilla Sundaes will be a big hit with everyone.
4 cups flour
1 tablespoon scant baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon shortening, or lard
1 to 1 1/4 cups hot tap water
Oil for deep frying
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 pint raspberries
1/2 pint blackberries
1/2 cup sugar
12 scoops vanilla ice cream
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sopapilla Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a mixer.
- Cut the shortening in as for pie.
- With the dough hook attached, add enough of the water to make a medium dough (not soft like bread dough, a little stiffer).
- Knead until smooth, turn out onto a counter, and roll into a ball.
- Let rest, covered, for 15-30 minutes.
- With thumb and first finger, squeeze 12 equal sized balls of dough; roll each into an 8" circle.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375°.
- Cut each rolled round of dough into 4 pieces and dangle the pieces in the hot oil until they catch.
- Spoon hot grease over the top so each piece of dough puffs up like a pillow; turn when brown to cook the other side.
- Immediately dip each side into the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Berries: mix the berries and sugar; set aside.
- Fudge Topping: Mix the cream and chocolate chips in a microwave-safe container; microwave 3 minutes , remove from the microwave, and let sit 5 minutes.
- Whisk until smooth and thick.
- Assembly: Place 4 pieces of sopapilla on each serving plate; top with a scoop of ice cream.
- Cover with berries, then drizzle with the fudge sauce. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 518 Calories from Fat 176
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 34% Protein 5% Carb. 61%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 374 mg
Total Carbohydrate 78 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 9% Calcium 0% Iron 8%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.