It seems that every family has traditional foods that they serve during the holiday season, usually starting around Thanksgiving through New Year’s. Cakes are popular, especially in the Southern United States. Southern bakers make dozens of varieties of moist and delicious cakes, and pound cakes are always popular. The following Pumpkin Pound Cake is not only delicious, but it uses pumpkin to advantage. The cake is moist and flavorful enough that it needs no other adornment than a dusting of powdered sugar. It’s also good sliced and topped with ice cream and seasonal toppings.
This cake is great for pot luck gatherings, holiday dessert buffets, and even when you happen to be craving cake. The batter can also be baked in small loaf pans to wrap and give as gifts. It’s quite easy to make, and lasts several days when wrapped tightly.
1 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups persimmon puree
2 teaspoons baking spice, such as pumpkin pie spice, ground mixed spice, etc.
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 teaspoon baking soda
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a standard size Bundt pan with non-stick spray; sift a little flour inside the pan and tap upside down over the sink to remove any excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and buttermilk and beat until smooth.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the pumpkin puree, baking spice, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Measure the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda into a fine strainer set over the pumpkin mixture; shake through.
- Beat on low speed until well-mixed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and smooth the top.
- Bake one hour to one hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Invert the cake onto a cooling rack and let the cake cool thoroughly.
- Sift a little powdered sugar on top and slice.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 313 Calories from Fat 119
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 6% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 84 mg
Sodium 295 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 5%