After the holidays, it's nice to make a few homey desserts rather than fancy, time-consuming ones. Oatmeal Apple Squares are quick, easy, and, according to the official Hancock tasters, yummy. All you need is a package of oatmeal cookie mix (along with the egg, water, and butter to make it according to package directions), two cans of apple pie filling, and a half cup of caramel ice cream topping.
The idea for this easy dessert comes from Kari Coates, a busy mom, nail salon owner, and friend who likes to spend as little time as possible in the kitchen. She recently used these ingredients to make mini pies in mini muffin pans for a holiday buffet, but, since it takes time to press the dough into the muffin cups, I opted to simply spread it out in a 9” x 13” baking dish and make it into squares. This dessert is luscious warm from the oven with a scoop of ice cream or sweetened whipped cream (please no frozen whipped topping – Yuk!). Hands-on time for this easy dessert is about 15 minutes, and you can vary the flavor of pie filling according to your tastes.
24 dessert-size squares
1 17.5 ounce package oatmeal cookie Mix, (such as Betty Crocker)
1 tablespoon water
1/2 cup butter
2 20 oz. cans apple pie filling
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
Sweetened whipped cream, or ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the cookie mix, egg, water, and butter until well-blended; press over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Remove the dish from the oven and spread the apple pie filling evenly over the oatmeal crust.
- Return to the oven and bake 35-45 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with the ice cream topping, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut into squares and top with whipped cream or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 173 Calories from Fat 48
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 3% Carb. 70%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 19 mg
Sodium 124 mg
Total Carbohydrate 30 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%