On President’s Day it’s fun to bake something that past presidents enjoyed. George Washington loved southern cakes, and it is rumored that one of his favorites was a light cake with nuts and raisins soaked in a whiskey syrup. Many of us don’t have time to bake a cake from scratch, and luckily we have the convenience nowadays of cake mixes that work well in a pinch. Presidential Whiskey Cake can be made quickly starting with a yellow cake mix. It can be baked in a Bundt pan (of course Bundt pans weren’t around then, so it may not be too authentic) or a 10” tube pan. Once removed from the oven, a syrup made from whiskey and sugar is poured over the cake and it soaks in to make the cake extra moist.
1 18.25 ounce yellow cake Mix
Eggs, water, and oil according to package directions
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Whiskey, (preferably Kentucky bourbon)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a standard Bundt pan or 10" tube pan with non-stick spray. Add a tablespoon of flour, shake around the pan, and dump out the excess flour.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package directions.
- Mix the raisins and pecans in a small bowl and toss with the flour; fold into the cake batter.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, place in the oven, and bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze: Measure the butter, sugar, and whiskey into a small saucepan; stir well, bring to a boil, and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Boil an additional 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the cake is done, remove from the oven and poke holes into the surface with a skewer or fork; pour 3/4 of the glaze over and let the cake sit in the pan for 10 minutes to soak up the glaze.
- Invert the cake onto a serving platter and drizzle the remaining glaze over the top.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 315 Calories from Fat 144
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 2% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 245 mg
Total Carbohydrate 37 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 21 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 2%