Itís fun to be patriotic, especially since red and blue berries are easy to get during the summer. The following Patriotic Pancake is a favorite for a sweet breakfast or brunch dessert. Itís beautiful, and is red, white, and blue. Serve it on the 4th of July, or any other patriotic holiday, such as Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day, or Veteranís Day. Itís good, however, whenever berries are available, and itís so good, there will be no leftovers.
This pancake is also very easy; just melt butter in a cast iron skillet (any heavy skillet can be used, but it seems that cast iron makes for the biggest puff), whizz a few standard ingredients in a blender, and bake. The fruit is simply mixed with jam, so there isnít too much liquid to make the pancake soggy.
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup raspberry jam
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
- Mix the blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries with the raspberry jam; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325į.
- Place the butter in a 9" cast iron skillet and place in the oven while it's heating.
- Measure the eggs, whipping cream, milk, flour, salt, and sugar into the blender; blend until smooth, scraping down the sides once.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and pour the batter into the melted butter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Sprinkle liberally with powdered sugar; top with the fruit mixture and serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 384 Calories from Fat 146
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 9% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 152 mg
Sodium 307 mg
Total Carbohydrate 51 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 4 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 39% Calcium 0% Iron 7%