4th of July Berry Cream Pie Recipe
Although there are quite a few steps to making this impressive patriotic dessert, the steps are easy and shouldn’t intimidate even beginning cooks. Anyone, no matter how skilled, can make this dessert picture perfect by following the easy directions. This cute flag pie can be made the night before serving. Leftovers, which are most likely not an issue, should be covered and refrigerated.
2 1/2 cups flour
6 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 to 8 tablespoons ice water
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons apple jelly, or other light, clear jelly
1 package Danish Dessert (raspberry or strawberry)
1 1/4 cups cold water
4 cups fresh raspberries
- Pie Crust: Mix the flour and salt in the food processor; cut the butter into chunks and process with the shortening until it looks like cornmeal.
- Add the water and process just until it forms a ball.
- Turn out onto a floured pastry cloth or board and divide the dough in half.
- Roll one half of the dough out to a rectangle about 14" x 10" and fit into a quarter sheet pan (approx 13" x 9" with 1" sides); press the dough up the sides and trim, if necessary.
- Prick the dough with a fork all over, then refrigerate or freeze until the dough is firm.
- Roll out the remaining dough to about 1/4" thickness and cut 6 3/4" wide by 14" strips and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Cut 12 1" or smaller stars and place them on a separate parchment-lined baking sheet (because the stars bake much faster than the strips).
- Spray both the strips and stars with water and sprinkle liberally with sugar.
- Bake the stars about 5 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned; bake the strips 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, make the Cream Filling: Measure the 1 1/2 cups milk into a large (preferably the 8 cup size) glass measuring cup or bowl and microwave until boiling, 4-5 minutes.
- While the milk is heating in the microwave, whisk together the flour and sugar in a separate bowl; whisk in the 1/2 cup milk, salt, and eggs until smooth.
- When the milk is hot, whisk the egg mixture into it; microwave 2-3 minutes or until thickened and boiling, stirring after two minutes; stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared rectangular crust, smooth out evenly, and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface; refrigerate while making the toppings.
- Topping: Mix the blueberries with the clear jelly; set aside.
- Whisk together the Danish Dessert and water; microwave, whisking every minute or so, for 3-4 minutes or until clear and boiling; whisk until smooth and fold in the raspberries.
- Assembly: Arrange the blueberries in the left hand corner in a 3-4" square over the cream filling.
- Spread the raspberry topping over the remaining surface of the pie.
- Top the blueberries with the stars; top the raspberries with the strips to resemble an American flag.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 445 Calories from Fat 182
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 6% Carb. 53%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 20 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 299 mg
Total Carbohydrate 59 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 7 g
Vitamin A 9% Vitamin C 21% Calcium 0% Iron 7%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2022 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.