Summertime has its own challenges, like yard work, gardening, hot weather, and of course a plethora of zucchini. There are dozens, even hundreds of dishes, both sweet and savory, that can be made with this prolific vegetable, and the following Zucchini Orange Syrup Cake is a bit different from the norm, since it’s not too sweet, but is moist and delicious. It will keep for a few days if stored airtight.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup plain Greek non-fat yogurt
3 cups finely grated zucchini
zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups self-rising flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice, or baking spice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cinnamon stick
1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9 x 13" pan with non-stick spray, line it with parchment, and spray the parchment.
- Mix the vegetable oil, eggs, and yogurt in a large mixing bowl.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add the zucchini, orange zest, and brown sugar.
- Measure the flours, soda, and mixed spice into a fine strainer set over the oil mixture; shake through, then mix well.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake about 60 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, place the honey, orange juice, cinnamon, and water in a small saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Uncover, stir well, and boil for 5 minutes; remove from the heat and set aside.
- When the cake is finished baking, remove it from the oven.
- Pour the syrup evenly over the cake slowly so that the cake soaks up the syrup.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Can be served warm or at room temperature. Add ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Amount Per Serving:
Calories 214 Calories from Fat 69
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 32% Protein 9% Carb. 59%
Nutrient Amount per Person
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 34 mg
Total Carbohydrate 32 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 12% Calcium 0% Iron 5%