Although dried figs are available year round, fresh figs are only available late June through September. This is unfortunate, since fresh figs are delicious and can be used in dozens of great desserts, as well as salads and main dishes. Many people are only familiar with figs because they are the filling in the fig bars that most of us devoured by the dozens as children. If you’re ready to learn just how delicious fresh figs are in desserts, you’ll want to try the following Fresh Fig and Limoncello tart. It is a great way to showcase those fresh figs, and introduce your friends and family to this unconventional treat.
Homemade pie crust is always best, but if you’re short on time, you can use the ready-made version. The tart will still be wonderful.
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 to 1/2 cup ice water
1 to 2 pounds fresh figs, stems removed and quartered lengthwise (12 -15 small or 9-12 medium)
2/3 cup whole almonds
1 cup sugar
7 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup limoncello liqueur
- Crust: Mix the flour and salt in the food processor.
- Cut the butter in chunks and process with the shortening until it looks like cornmeal.
- Add the water and process just until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured pastry cloth or other floured surface.
- Refrigerate the dough for one hour.
- Place a sheet of foil inside the crust, top with dry beans, and bake blind in a preheated 400° oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and remove the beans and foil.
- Arrange the fig quarters decoratively over the surface of the tart crust.
- Reduce the heat to 350°
- Filling: Place the almonds and sugar in the bowl of a food processor; process until very finely chopped.
- Add the melted butter, cream, lemon zest, and egg; process until well-mixed.
- Add the liqueur and process for a second or two; pour over the figs.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until the filling is set. Cool before cutting into 12 wedges.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 406 Calories from Fat 208
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 51% Protein 6% Carb. 43%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 129 mg
Sodium 254 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 24 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 5%