Outdoor parties often include homemade ice cream along with yummy cookies, brownies, or bars; it’s an easy dessert, and the varieties of cookies, brownies, and bars is endless. It’s also nice to be able to include that ubiquitous zucchini (don’t we all have it in our gardens or it is “gifted” from the neighbors) in those cookies, since most of us need to use it up, and in these Root Beer Float Zucchini Brownies, the zucchini is undetectable. It serves only to make the bars moist and add a few extra vitamins. Picky zucchini haters won’t have a clue.
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup butter
2 cups finely grated zucchini
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons root beer extract
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups powdered sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons half and half
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoons root beer extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 11 x 17" jelly roll pan with parchment or spray liberally with non-stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the sugars and butter until fluffy; add the zucchini, buttermilk, eggs, and root beer extract.
- Beat at medium speed until well blended.
- Measure the flour, baking soda, and salt into a fine strainer; shake over the butter mixture and mix well.
- Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the center is just set. Cool.
- Mix the glaze ingredients until smooth; spread over and cut into 48 squares.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 133 Calories from Fat 47
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 35% Protein 5% Carb. 60%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 22 mg
Sodium 97 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 2%