I’m always looking for something new to serve for dessert, especially when I’m having guests. Summertime generally means outdoor gatherings, so dessert needs to be something simple. The following Mango Butter Bars are perfect, since they can be made ahead, and are light. They transport well, for picnics and potlucks, and have the taste of the tropics. Mangoes are available year round, however, so these luscious bars can be made anytime.
The shortbread crust is made with lots of real butter, and the mango custard topping has a similar texture to everyone’s favorite lemon bars. As a bonus, toasted coconut tops the bars.
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cold butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped fresh mango
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 2/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Crust: Place the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process until the butter has been incorporated and the mixture looks like cornmeal. Alternately, use a cut the butter into the flour and powdered sugar with a pastry blender.
- Transfer to a glass 9" x 13" baking dish; press down evenly.
- Bake 15 minutes; remove from the oven.
- Spread the flaked coconut on a baking sheet and toast 5-7 minutes or until golden brown; set aside.
- Mango Puree: Place the mango, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon sugar in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave 3 minutes; stir, then microwave 3 additional minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Filling: Add the remaining filling ingredients to the mango puree; whizz until smooth, pour over the crust, and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until set.
- Remove from the oven, immediately sift with powdered sugar, and sprinkle evenly with the toasted coconut. Press the coconut down a bit with yuur hands.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting into 32 squares. Refrigerate.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 144 Calories from Fat 52
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 6% Carb. 58%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 6 g
Saturated Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 59 mg
Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 2%