Mexican hot chocolate is divine; it pairs rich chocolate and cinnamon in a warm drink that is irresistible. There are several brands of Mexican hot chocolate disks that are used to make this rich drink; Ibarra is my favorite because it seems extra rich and contains less preservatives (I have used other brands, however, with excellent results). I also use the hot chocolate disks in desserts such as the following Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake. Although it starts with a cake mix, no one will be the wiser, since the cake is packed with chocolate and cinnamon and ends up with a dense texture similar to a homemade pound cake.
Since this cake isnít too sweet, itís ideal for breakfast and brunch with your favorite warm beverage. Itís also perfect for dessert, and ice cream is a nice accompaniment. The distinct flavors of Mexican hot chocolate will win your guests over, and itís doubtful that there will be any leftovers.
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Zest of 1 orange
1 3 oz. package instant vanilla pudding
1 18.5 ounce yellow cake Mix
6 ounces Mexican chocolate, (2 3-ounce disks), very finely chopped or ground
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350į.
- Spray a standard Bundt pan with Baker's Joy or grease and flour.
- Blend the eggs, sour cream, and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the orange peel, cake mix, and pudding mix; beat on low speed until smooth.
- Toss the Mexican chocolate with the 2 tablespoons flour; fold into the batter, leaving streaks of yellow.
- Mix the sugar, cinnamon, and nuts.
- Alternate layers of the cake batter and the cinnamon mixture, ending with batter.
- Bake for about an hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack.
- Let cool thoroughly before slicing and store leftovers in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 348 Calories from Fat 162
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 47% Protein 3% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 18 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 225 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 28 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 7% Calcium 0% Iron 5%