Old Fashioned Blackberry Buckle Recipe
The cake-like topping in this recipe is buttery, and has a hint of lime which lightens it up; you can substitute lemon if it’s more convenient. It’s best served warm with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream. Leftovers are also good at room temperature.
1 cup flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
1 cup milk
3 cups fresh blackberries
3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8" or 9" baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in the butter until it looks like cornmeal.
- Grate the lime rind with a Microplane or fine grater and add it to the mixture; squeeze in the lime juice.
- Add the milk and mix until fairly smooth; transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the blackberries over the top of the batter; sprinkle with the 3 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the top is golden brown and set.
- Remove from the oven and serve with highest quality vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 357 Calories from Fat 116
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 33% Protein 4% Carb. 64%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 271 mg
Total Carbohydrate 57 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 36 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 11% Vitamin C 23% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2018 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.