Are you one who likes to serve green food on St. Patrick’s Day? Although that’s not what they do in Ireland, there are lots of Americans who insist on doing it every year. Rather than ending up with green teeth because of too much green food coloring, the following luscious Zucchini Lime Pistachio Cake has naturally green ingredients, and while it’s not a bright green, it is green and suitable for the holiday.
This moist, yummy cake is also perfect for summer and fall when there is a plethora of zucchini from the garden sitting around waiting to be used. It is quick and easy to make, so you’ll want to make it often when a dessert is needed. The green ingredients – lime, zucchini, and pistachio nuts – complement each other nicely for a great flavor.
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces zucchini, finely grated
zest of 1 lime
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces softened cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8" round cake pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment; spray the parchment.
- Mix the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, zucchini, and lime zest in a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix well, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a cooling rack; cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and lime juice until light and fluffy. If it is two stiff, add a teaspoon or two of milk.
- Frost the cooled cake and sprinkle with the pistachio nuts.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 337 Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 5% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 151 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 4%