Yellowman is an Irish candy similar to toffee. Itís traditionally served at the Auld Lammas Fair at Ballycastle, County Antrim, every August. Because itís a traditional Irish sweet, however, itís also appropriate to serve on St. Patrickís Day. Itís delicious, and fairly easy to make. So far, as I have tested several recipes, I havenít had even one flop, so Iím confident you wonít either. Actually, Yellowman is something a bit different and would also go well on Christmas treat trays.
Of course authentic Yellowman calls for common Irish/British ingredients Ė golden syrup and treacle Ė which are sometimes difficult to find in the US; however, corn syrup and light molasses can be substituted with excellent results. The taste is slightly different, but the toffee is still delicious, and your friends and family wonít know the difference. To make it easier to measure, spray your liquid measuring cup with non-stick spray before measuring the sticky ingredients.
1/2 cup butter, preferably Irish
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/3 cup dark treacle, or substitute molasses
1 cup golden syrup, or substitute corn syrup
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Butter a 17 x 11" jellyroll pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; stir in the vinegar, treacle, and golden syrup.
- Add the brown sugar and stir.
- Cover the pan and let it come to a boil (the steam keeps the sugar crystals from sticking to the sides).
- Remove the lid, and without stirring, let the mixture cook until it reaches 290į - 300į on a candy thermometer. Test by drizzling some of the candy mixture into a cup of ice water; it should form crisp strands when it is properly cooked (soft crack stage).
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in the baking soda (I put mine through a mini-strainer to eliminate any lumps). The mixture will bubble up.
- Pour onto the prepared jellyroll pan and let sit until thoroughly cool. Break into irregular pieces to serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 126 Calories from Fat 35
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 27% Protein 0% Carb. 73%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 4 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 10 mg
Sodium 69 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 0 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 6%