Veal Madeira Recipe
This is a great dish that features the slightly sweet flavor of Madeira wine.
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground, black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound veal slices, thin
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbs butter
- 1/2 cup Madeira wine
- 1 cup white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 onion, chopped
- Mix together the flour, salt, oregano, and pepper.
- Dredge the veal in the flour until well coated.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat 2 Tbs olive oil and 2 Tbs butter.
- Cook the onion until it just starts to turn gold.
- Remove the onion and add the mushrooms to the skillet with 1 Tbs of butter. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Don't overcook.
- Remove the mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs olive oil and 1 Tbs butter over medium-high heat.
- Add the veal slices and cook for a few minutes on each side. You will know when to turn it the first time because the edges of the veal will be white.
- When all the pieces of veal are cooked, put them on a plate and keep them warm.
- Pour the Madeira and white wine into the oil and warm. Mix in the mushrooms and onion.
- Let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Return the veal to the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes. Make certain all veal slices are coated with the sauce.
- Serve immediately.
Note: Serve with a green salad and crusty bread. Potatoes are a good side dish.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
OXO Good Grips Meat Tenderizer
An essential for scaloppini, the flat mallet end allows you to pound veal slices to a uniform thickness (which makes cooking faster and even). The end with points helps tenderize steak by breaking up some of the muscle fibers, this also allows your marinade to permeate. You may also employ this tool to crush nuts, ice, or Oreos for cheesecake crust.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you will want to subscribe to the Italian Food Newsletter
Each week the newsletter arrives in your email inbox. Featured will be tips for Italian cooking, travel, and information on Italian culture. BellaOnline.com never sells your email to third parties. The subscription box is on the right side of this page.
You Should Also Read:
Authentic Chicken Marsala Recipe
Veal Chops Milanese Recipe
Bistecca all Pizzaiola - Steak with Tomatoes and Garlic Recipe
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2023 by Paula Laurita. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Paula Laurita. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.