Bittersweet Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
When making this delicious bread, remember that there is a difference in unsweetened cocoa powders; most agree that the best is Dutch, and while it can be expensive, is well-worth it. If you were to compare the color of high quality cocoa and what is generally found in grocery stores, you would be shocked at the fact that the cheaper cocoas are insipidly light compared to the much darker high quality cocoas.
3 ripe bananas
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
15 1/4 ounces chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 2 8" x 4" loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- Place the bananas in a large mixing bowl, and mix them until they are mashed; add the vegetable oil and eggs, beating well.
- Pour in the cake mix and measure in the unsweetened cocoa; mix well and fold in the cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour half of the mixture into each of the prepared loaf pans.
- Sprinkle each loaf with half of the topping ingredients, and press them down a little with your hand.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 10 minutes before removing from the pans to a cooling rack.
- Let cool thoroughly before slicing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 101
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 45% Protein 3% Carb. 52%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 11 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 27 mg
Sodium 134 mg
Total Carbohydrate 29 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 2% Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2019 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.