Bloody Brain Biscuits Recipe
These cookies keep at room temperature for a month or so as long as they are in an airtight container. They are perfect to serve at a Halloween BOO-ffet with other scary desserts, and since there is cinnamon oil in the glaze, they actually taste good. The walnuts can be made ahead, so, even though these cookies are a bit time-consuming, they are definitely doable and well-worth it.
Makes about 100 Cookies
3 cups walnut halves, go through the bag and pick the perfect ones that resemble a brain
3/4 cup water
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 dash salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon oil
Red Paste Food Coloring
1 cup softened butter
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
32 ounces powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 to 1 cup milk
- Brains: Line a baking sheet with Silpat or buttered parchment.
- In a large saucepan, mix the 3/4 cup water, 2 cups sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Stir, then cover and bring to a boil. Remove the cover and cook to the hard crack stage (300º-310º), stirring often.
- Stir in the walnut halves and separate them onto the silpat; let them sit until they harden. Save the remaining syrup in the saucepan.
- Cookies: Preheat oven to 350º. Line several baking sheets with parchment or silpat.
- Cream the butter, shortening, and sugars until light; beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- Measure the flour, cream of tartar, salt, and baking soda into a fine strainer set over the butter mixture. Shake through and mix until well blended.
- Roll out to 1/4" thickness on a floured pastry cloth.
- Cut 2" rounds and place them on the baking sheets.
- Bake about 8 minutes or just until the edges start to brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to cooling racks.
- Frosting: Mix the powdered sugar, butter, and enough milk to make a smooth, spreadable consistency.
- Assembly: Frost each of the cookies and place a "brain" on top.
- Heat the cinnamon syrup over low heat, adding a little water if necessary so that it liquefies. Use a heatproof spatula to drizzle the syrup over the cookies to resemble blood spatter.
- When the frosting has set, store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 169 Calories from Fat 70 Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 3% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 71 mg
Total Carbohydrate 23 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 1 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 1%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.