Before video games, kids played outside, got exercise, and made mud pies. They didn’t eat the mud pies, of course. Sometime in the 70’s someone (nobody really knows who) came up with a dessert called Mississippi Mud Pie, which is supposed to resemble the parched, cracked mud in Mississippi. This pie is actually decadent, a far cry from those mud pies made by children in the olden days before video and computer games. The pie became famous in the 80’s, with its delicious counterpart, Mississippi Mud Cake; both are now considered southern classics; various recipes for both appear in every church and community cookbook from coast to coast.
This delicious pie should be served at room temperature with plenty of sweetened real whipped cream. It’s very rich, so a small piece is adequate, even for the most passionate chocoholic.
1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
1/2 cup toasted pecans
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, (highest quality - not Nestles)
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup toasted pecans, finely ground
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray a 9" springform pan with non-stick spray.
- Crust: Place the cookie crumbs, toasted pecans and brown sugar in the bowl of a food processor; process until finely ground.
- With the motor running, pour in the butter and process until well mixed.
- Transfer to the prepared springform pan and press evenly over the bottom and up the sides about 1 - 1 1/2".
- Bake in the preheated oven 8 minutes; remove from the oven.
- Filling: Meanwhile, place the butter, chocolate chips, and corn syrup in a microwaveable container.
- Microwave 2 minutes on high power; whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the eggs and vanilla; stir in the pecans.
- Pour into the baked crust.
- Remove from the oven and let sit on a cooling rack until room temperature.
- Run a knife around the outside of the pie; remove the springform pan. Transfer the pie to a serving platter and decorate with whipped cream.
- To serve, cut into small wedges.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until set.
Amount Per Serving (including the whipped cream)
Calories 537 Calories from Fat 360
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 4% Carb. 29%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 40 g
Saturated Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 147 mg
Sodium 282 mg
Total Carbohydrate 38 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 21% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 11%