Elegant Cranberry Orange Cake
1 15.25 ounce yellow cake mix
2/3 cup softened butter
1 1/3 cups whole milk
4 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup frozen cranberry juice concentrate
1/4 cup softened butter
1 pinch salt
Cranberry Orange Filling:
1 medium orange
1 12 oz. package cranberries
2 cups sugar
1 cup orange juice
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup softened butter
4 cups powdered sugar
2 to 3 tablespoons whipping cream, or milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350º. Spray two 9" cake pans with non-stick spray, line them with parchment, and spray the parchment.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, butter, and milk until smooth, scraping the sides occasionally; pour equal amounts into each pan and smooth out.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the outside and unmold onto cooling racks. Cool thoroughly.
- Cranberry Curd: Whisk the yolks and sugar until well blended; stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Microwave on high, stirring every minute, until thickened and the mixture coats a wooden spoon but is still liquid enough to pour. Make sure it doesn't boil. If it has lumps, push the mixture through a fine sieve.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the curd and cool thoroughly.
- Cranberry Orange Filling: Cut the orange into eights, place the pieces in the food processor, and process, scraping the sides once, until very finely chopped.
- Transfer the orange to a medium saucepan and add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat; turn the heat to low, and simmer, mashing the berries with a potato masher, and stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. The filling will thicken upon cooling.
- Assembly: Cut the cake layers through lengthwise making four layers and place them cut side up on a flat surface; spread 1/4 of the cranberry curd over each of the cut sides.
- Place one of the top layers on a serving plate cut side up; spread with 1/4 of the cranberry orange filling.
- Spread a small amount of the cream cheese frosting over the filling and top with a bottom layer cut side down.
- Spread another fourth of the cranberry orange filling over the layer, then a small amount of cream cheese frosting and place a bottom layer on the frosting.
- Spread with another fourth of the cranberry orange filling, then a small amount of cream cheese frosting.
- Top with the final layer and spread with the remaining filling. Spread frosting over the sides of the cake, swirling some of the filling into the frosting
- Place the remaining frosting in a decorating bag and pipe decoratively around the bottom and top of the cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 489 Calories from Fat 167
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 34% Protein 2% Carb. 63%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 113 mg
Sodium 369 mg
Total Carbohydrate 77 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 43 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 15% Vitamin C 17% Calcium 0% Iron 3%
Editor's Picks Articles
Top Ten Articles
Content copyright © 2021 by Karen Hancock. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Karen Hancock. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Karen Hancock for details.