Guest Author - Vannie Ryanes
The dish is easy and fairly quick. It can be served to family for a quick meal, just add soup and a small salad. Creamy corn soup is partcularly good with this spicy beef. Don't want a salad? Add a couple of tomato slices and a few dark lettuce leaves on your spicy burger or on your plate.
Spicy Ground Beef Over Hamburger Buns
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tablespoons cooking oil
1 8 ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup chipotle ketchup*
1/8 ground turmeric
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
1. Over low heat cook beef in oil until almost done then add onion and garlic. Continue cooking until beef is brown, if there is excess oil, remove from skillet.
2. Add tomato sauce, ketchup, turmeric, oregano, sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Remove beef mixture from heat, add Parmesan cheese, stir until cheese melts
4. If adding salt and pepper do so now and stir.
5. Serve from skillet over hamburger buns.
If serving for a crowd, double recipe and serve buffet style. Place beef mixture in dish that sits on a hot plate. Use it to keep your food warm, then allow everyone to make own open-face burger or sandwich. Put your hot soup in a large bowl that hold heat, add cherry tomatoes in a bowl if you do not want to slice tomatoes, everyone seems to enjoy biting into those tiny bursts of flavor. Place large lettuce leaves nearby for those staying away from bread, these leaves are perfect for wrapping around ground beef. Be sure to have plenty of paper napkins close at hand.
* If you cannot find prepared chipotle ketchup, buy chipotle chiles in a can and add to ketchup to make your own chipotle chile ketchup. This way you control the heat. I buy Stonewall Kitchen chipotle ketchup from one of the supermarkets I shop at once in a while.
*Hamburger buns should be lightly buttered and lightly toasted.
*If you look for Stonewall Kitchen, and can't find it in your supermarket you may be able to find it online.