It's often hard to find crème fraîche in grocery stores. This recipe is easy to follow.
- 2 Tbs plain yogurt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Mix the yogurt into the cream in a small sauce pan. Heat slowly to 110F.
- Remove from heat and pour into a pyrex bowl. Cover with a sheet of wax paper. Don't seal the edges.
- Allow to sit out over night (yes, out of the refrigerator) in a warm place. This allows the bacteria to thicken the cream.
- Place the crème fraîche in the refrigerator. It will continue to thicken. You may store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Note: Crème fraîche is better than sour cream for cooking. It can be boiled, reduced, and thickened without the risk of curdling.