Books & Music
Food & Wine
Health & Fitness
Hobbies & Crafts
Home & Garden
News & Politics
Religion & Spirituality
Travel & Culture
TV & Movies
Shrimp Salad with Cannellini Beans Recipe
This shrimp salad with cannellini beans recipe is very easy and very quick to prepare. However, let me first give you some data on the type of shrimps normally used in Italian recipes.
All over the world, shrimps come in different sizes and colors depending on their species. Italian and Mediterranean shrimps have a distinct more delicate flavor compared to the ones from the Atlantic ocean and are in general smaller.
There are three different sizes of shrimps, or gamberi, which are commonly found in the Italian markets: the regular gamberi (about 15-20 cm/5-7 in), the smaller gamberetti (about 7 cm/3 in) and the big gamberoni or mazzancolle (over 20 cm), a less common and more expensive delicacy reserved for special occasions.
Depending on their size, in Italy shrimps are best prepared and enjoyed in different ways: the larger ones are normally grilled, while the regular and smaller size can be fried or stewed or even just poached and then used for salads.
Therefore, for this shrimp salad recipe with beans I recommend to use gamberetti , or any kind of smaller size shrimp you may find at your market or grocery store.
Ingredients and Instructions (serves 4):
• 1 lemon slice
• 1 ½ pounds of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 can (7 oz/200 g) of cooked cannellini beans
• 1 teaspoon of capers
• 2 tablespoons of good quality white wine vinegar
• 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Italian parsley sprig, finely chopped
• salt and pepper
1. In a large pan, bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil with the slice of lemon. Add the shrimps and cook them for about 5 minutes and then drain well.
2. Transfer the shrimps to a bowl and let them cool in the refrigerator. When cold add the cannellini and the capers, previously well rinsed and drained.
3. In a separate small bowl mix together the extra virgin olive oil and the white vinegar, season with salt and pepper then pour the mix over the salad.
4. Gently combine all the ingredients and finally sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.
Enjoy and buon appetito!
Cinzia Aversa, 2014
Content copyright © 2015 by Cinzia Aversa. All rights reserved.
This content was written by Cinzia Aversa. If you wish to use this content in any manner, you need written permission. Contact Cinzia Aversa for details.
Website copyright © 2015 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.